My Experiences with a Little Blue Phone Box

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Once upon a time, my mom was watching some DVDs. I was curious and probably asked her what she was watching.
"Doctor Who," she'd said.
Soon after, I decided to borrow Mom's region-free DVD player and watch some of this Doctor Who show myself.

And then I was hooked.

from Etsy

So I like this show. A whole lot. Throughout the years, I've become friends with people who love this show too, and I've even hooked some of my best friends on it as well.

My university even has a pretty substantial Whovian culture. Not just students, but faculty and staff as well. I had a Dalek keychain at one point and a librarian noticed. 
I didn't know how substantial that culture was until I found out that there was a new class being offered: Doctor Who and Philosophy.

Yes, I'm taking that class now. I mean, why not? I'm a senior in my last semester of college, I finished my English courses for my major, and I needed electives.

The other day, I had to give a presentation on Time Travel. Yes, time travel. This class had me researching the implications of time travel and how it can affect history. It was quite possibly the coolest presentation of my college career. Maybe even my entire school career.

Here are a few snippets. I asked one of my good friends to tape it. :)


When I finished and sat back down, one of my friends told me I did a good job, and added, "You just talked about the possibility of time travel. No big deal."

I'm about to get really deep for a second, so indulge me:
I really want my future son or daughter to have this much interest in something to pursue it, even if it's something as inconsequential as a TV show. Even before I got into Doctor Who, I was fascinated by the idea of time travel. I'm so glad I was given the opportunity to research something I really loved, and I think having this skill will help me later on in life.

For now, I guess I'll keep dreaming of what it would be like to travel in a blue phone box.


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!