Doctor Who, Season Eight

Saturday, August 23, 2014


To say I've been excited for the new seasons and episodes of Doctor Who is an understatement.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, pretty close to its inception, you know that I'm kind of a big fan of this show. So much so that I took a class on how it relates to philosophical thought during my senior year of college.

I'm really curious to see how this season pans out, given that the show changes with each new Doctor that comes along, whether those changes are subtle or more obvious - one of those being the new layout of the Tardis (which looks really cool from what I've seen so far!) and another being...well...the new Doctor. There's so much intrigue surrounding him and this season in general, so I'm excited to see how he solves the problems and has adventures through time and space.

As of my writing this post, I'm about to watch the first episode of this new season. After I've watched it, I'll review it for you guys right here. I think it'll be fun to capture my perspective of the season before and after I start it in the same blog post.


Mini Review of Season 8, Episode 1: Deep Breath


(The intro changed! It's amazing!)

First of all, I'm posting no spoilers. I'd love it if you guys watched the episode and experienced how the new Doctor is for yourself. Before you watch it, though, I recommend watching the episode "Girl in the Fireplace" (from Tennant's seasons). Some of the elements from the new episode make sense if you've seen it. You don't have to have watched it to fully enjoy the episode, though.

It's good. There are parts that keep you guessing (how did that gigantic T-rex get into old London?), parts that leave you slightly frustrated (He told you to hold your breath? Where did he go?!), and parts that make you smile (the ending).

I will say that I like the 12th Doctor. He's not overtly dark, but he's got some secrets to keep and things to figure out. A large part of the episode is him figuring out who he is, and him wondering if others will accept him and his new change/getup. That's all I will write about him, but just know that I approve, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the rest of the season.

The ending was my favorite part, because cell phones and coffee. It's really sweet. :) You have to watch it to find out what I mean. ;)

Also, the Tardis looks awesome!

I apologize for being vague, but I really didn't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet. If you have seen it, though, let's discuss in the comments. :)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!